Top Ten Things to Do on Your Muskoka Cottage Rental Vacation
Article by smookedtrout
Just 90 minutes north of Toronto, folks who rent Canadian cottages find a world of nature, culture, and possibility–Muskoka, Ontario. With possibilities so diverse that it becomes a getaway paradise, Muskoka is the prime destination for your next vacation. Among the numerous possibilities for romance, family entertainment, and tranquil relaxation are ten top spots to make your memories of Muskoka a bold call for return again and again.
1. Those travelers seeking adventures of a more romantic sort will enjoy strolls along the banks of over 1600 lakes, water glistening in the sun. For a more personal sense of the wet life force of Muskoka, take a cruise aboard one of the lovely boats that dots the landscape.
2. Haliburton Highlands Water Trails offers nature lovers a chance to explore 26, 985 hectares of land teeming with verdant forest, hiking/cycling trails, and waterways such as lakes and rivers. You and your companion will discover that a love of nature unites fond hearts.
3. Travelers with a family to entertain will find a world of opportunity in Muskoka, from cultural events to good, wholesome fun, there’s something for everyone in your crew. Your first stop, though, will likely be Santa’s Village. Here, your child will enjoy the magic of living like one of Santa’s elves as she experiences Christmas themed carnival rides, meets Santa’s deer, and even takes a splash in the surprising summer waters of Santa’s off-season home.
4. Children with a flair for the arts will appreciate a family excursion to The Tree Museum. Set on 200 acres, this innovative museum incorporates the edge of contemporary sculpture with the soft invitation of a natural woodland setting. 2.2 kilometres of trails ensures that your little ones and all the adults involved will get a chance to be active as they entertain their minds.
5. Individuals, couples, and families seeking a more tranquil getaway find that Muskoka offers numerous back-to-nature, low key entertainment opportunities. In this land of lakes, one of the most popular vacation pastimes is fishing. For a perfect afternoon, with no headaches, visit one of the local marinas, such as Haystack Bay Marina. There you can rent boats, wakeboard, waterski, and fish.
6. Proud history is the foundation of the Muskoka genealogy and your Muskoka cottage rental experience. Visit the Muskoka Heritage Place–Museum, Village, and Train–to experience first hand what a day in early Muskoka was like. Costumed interpreters share the truths of this circa 1880s-1910s community, and engaging interaction allows individuals and families to connect with the past. Visit a one-room schoolhouse, taste the fare of pioneer baking, and become exhilirated by an open-air coach train journey.
7. Boys, Girls, and Parents will want to step into the story as they visit a home once a getaway for Lucy Maud Montgomery, the author of the beloved “Anne of Green Gables.” Photo opportunities abound, and costumes are even available to help visitor look the part! A well-appointed gift shop makes this the perfect spot to pick up souvenirs and what-nots to show you thought of others on your trip.
8. Having stepped into Muskoka’s past, look into a tradition as young as many of its visitors–Johnston’s Cranberry Marsh and the Muskoka Lakes Winery. Since 1952, this award-winning winery and cranberry farm as attracted visitors and locals alike. Hiking and biking trails, family picnic sites, and children’s wildlife activities/programs makes this a must make visit for anyone renting a cottage in this lovely part of Canada.
9. Those of you who embrace an active lifestyle will be pleased to discover that beautiful scenery and design ingenuity make Muskoka’s 20+ public and semi-private golf courses among the finest in North America. Plan a day at Bigwin Island Golf Club and have lunch at their world-class Marine Dining Room.
10. And when you’re called back to your everyday life, don’t despair, take a piece of Muskoka with you. Spend your last day shopping the many fine antiques stores that make it possible for you to collect treasures all your own. Among the antiques offerings of Muskoka is the Gravenhurst Grand Antique Show and Sale, held in August. Find the best-informed dealers in Ontario in one location. What a perfect opportunity.
While a Canadian cottage rental is always the perfect choice for a vacation that refreshes and rejuvenates, you’re sure to find that a home away from home vacation option in Muskoka opens your eyes to a whole new world of excursion possibilities.
www.cottagesale.ca This cottage in Haliburton Highlands is for sale – 9000. It was completely renovated in 2011 and features 115 ft of clean waterfront with a large dock for swimming. All details are listed on the website.